Warm, comforting and delicious. Sausage, potatoes and cream, what’s not to love?!
What you need!
1 pound bulk Italian mild sausage
1 1/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 large onion, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
10 cups chicken broth
6 potato, thinly sliced
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 bunch fresh spinach, tough stems removed
- Cook the Italian sausage and red pepper flakes in a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pan, over medium-high heat until crumbly, browned, and no longer pink, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the bacon in the same Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain, leaving a few tablespoons of drippings with the bacon in the bottom of the Dutch oven.
- Stir in the onions and garlic; cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the chicken broth into the Dutch oven with the bacon and onion mixture; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the potatoes, and boil until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the heavy cream and the cooked sausage; heat through.
- Mix the spinach into the soup just before serving