Warm, comforting and delicious. Sausage, potatoes and cream, what’s not to love?!
What you need!
1 pound bulk Italian mild sausage
1 1/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 large onion, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
10 cups chicken broth
6 potato, thinly sliced
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 bunch fresh spinach, tough stems removed
- Cook the Italian sausage and red pepper flakes in a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pan, over medium-high heat until crumbly, browned, and no longer pink, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the bacon in the same Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain, leaving a few tablespoons of drippings with the bacon in the bottom of the Dutch oven.
- Stir in the onions and garlic; cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the chicken broth into the Dutch oven with the bacon and onion mixture; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the potatoes, and boil until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the heavy cream and the cooked sausage; heat through.
- Mix the spinach into the soup just before serving
This is a family favorite and so easy and versatile. You can tweak the recipe to accommodate what you have on hand in the pantry. It freezes great too!
What you need:
4-5 cups cooked chicken or ground beef (browned) or left over pot roast
1 -16oz can black beans or kidney beans
2 -10oz cans chopped tomatoes with green chilies
2 cups frozen corn
1 1/2 T cumin
1 1/2 T coriander
2T chili powder
ground red pepper (optional to taste)
salt & pepper to taste
6 cups chicken stock or beef stock (depending on what your protein is)
2T vegetable oil
masa or corn flour mixed with water to make a smooth paste
Pour the oil into a large heavy bottomed saucepan. Add the chicken and spices. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes until the spices are fragrant. Add the beans, tomatoes, corn and stock. Stir until it comes to a gentle boil. Let simmer for 30 minutes. Combine the masa or corn flour and water until it is a smooth paste. Stir into the soup stirring until the broth thickens a little. Ladle into bowls, and top with your choice of garnish. E.g. sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado or guacamole and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips for scooping!